Thank You Jesus!
Saturday, November 14, 2009
So off i went this morning at 0740 to cycle to Ang Mo Kio to meet alvin for what i thought would be a leisurely off road trip at mandai. Didnt bring any isotonic sugars, the two water bottles mounted onto my bike, my rain coat and a new tee to change into, the latter two which proved unnecessary.

I actually planned to leave at 0730 so i sped my way along old tampines road knowing i was behind time and i was happy to bump into a group of roadies to chase, helped cut down some time and i was catching breath when i finally reached AMK MRT at 0836, six mins late. Alvin was already there and off we went via thomson road, gosh there are more vicious uphills and flowly slopes then i'd ever encountered in a long long time so maintained my >20km/h speed the best i could and was 90% exhausted by the time we reached mandai. and it turned out that alvin smsed me to invite me to go to Bukit Timah, the nastiest cycling trail in Singapore. If i'd known, i told him later, i'd not have come cuz i have not exercised in months.

By the time we were halfway thru the track with insanely steep uphills and vicious downs with logs, roots, stones, rocks and every other object that could trip your decent and injure you badly. Thank God somehow in the morning i chose to wear my Vanz shoes instead of the worn out army shoes i'd usually wear offroad. The mud was spraying from my wheels everytime i picked up speed, spraying my bike, my legs, my face, my mouth. Exhausted as i was, i shifted into the lowest of lowest gears and meekly crawled by the slopes and other times when my strength failed me, i pushed my bike up the slopes and down the decents when i was running on willpower alone, the adrenaline was long gone. Thank God alvin passed me his ribena cheer pack and energy bar but even after gobbling those two, my body was in terrible shock.

The worst thing is that i only found out that i dropped my phone at the cycling trail only on our way back, i was in no state to go a second round to look for it. It could be anywhere with so many crazy bumps down the phone could have flew out of the open pouch anywhere at the trail. Silly me, my dad just told me in the morning to keep my phone properly, a very painful lesson to be sharper and take heed of our parents' advise.

My contacts are all gone with the phone crap, but even now i am too drained to really grasp the sequence of events. Being mentally unprepared going to Singapore's fiercest mountain bike trail thinking it was a leisurely trip, i could barely peddle up the flowly slopes to the Zoo to have lunch. Much needed energy and hydration yet my body was in serious shock. i just pushed myself all the way home, when i left the Zoo it was 2-3pm. i got lost in Senkang trying to find this new bridge alvin told me would cut my journey home by 20mins. i definitely went so many circles and asked so many clueless people for directions that i spent who knows how long before two people finally directed me the right way. Praise God.

So i limped home at mostly 10km/h on flats and slower than that on uphills, pushing the gears with all my might on the downs, stopped at like 3 bus stops to take long long breaks, completely exhausted, sometimes i just lay flat on my bike, obvlious to the people around me. I was full of mud, grime and whatever else my tires kicked up and my plans to go Youth Service were shelved when i reached home only at 1730, i just collasped in my balcony and rested on the floor.

Thank You Jesus for not taking me home, i still have so many people i need to make right with and so many others i have yet to bless... I felt i had a mini asthma attack all the way back, even though i was using minimum effort to cycle leisurely, each spin was painfully agnosing and there were occasions when nobody was around i was yelling in pain due the chest pains. On a scale of ten, it was at eight. Yeah that bad. In the middle of the trail i could barely walk due to the over strain on my thighs, by the time i went to Yishun i was expressing my pain in moans. My thighs felt they were about to snap. I'm better now, my lungs feel 70-80% recovered except for the times when i inhaled deeply then i'd feel the pain. My thighs are now merely immovable logs that i have to drag along everywhere i went. Must have worried my parents, especially my mum who came to sit beside me as i collasped into bed. Got woken up by dawn at 2200 finding some test paper and i havent been able to sleep since.

posted by Shaun @ 10:48 PM



Leaderboard

My 2008 Scott Scale 70



Tagboard


Wishlist

Refer to the post on the left! =D


Previous Posts